Associate Professor Dongryeol Ryu
- Environmental Remote Sensing (Remote Sensing, Soil Moisture, Evapotranspiration)
- Flood Forecasting and Monitoring Flood Inundation (Flood, Flood Plain)
- Hydrological Sciences (Soil Moisture, Evapotranspiration, Water Accounting)
Dr Dongryeol Ryu is the Academic Program Coordinator of the Master of Engineering (Environmental) program. Dr Ryu is a Senior Lecturer in Environmental Hydrology and Water Resources (EHWR) in the Department of Infrastructure Engineering at The University of Melbourne. He leads the Hydrology and Remote Sensing group in the Department with a special interest in surface water hydrology and microwave remote sensing. Dr Ryu is currently working on developing microwave soil moisture retrieval algorithms and on investigating an innovative method of flood forecasting by using various satellite observations, which are funded by ARC. He is also a past recipient of a NASA Earth System Science Fellowship and the University of California, Irvine Medal.
- Western A, Dassanayake K, Perera KC, Argent R, Alves O, Young G, Ryu D. An evaluation of a methodology for seasonal soil water forecasting for Australian dry land cropping systems. AGRICULTURAL AND FOREST METEOROLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 253. DOI: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2018.02.012
- Peischl S, Walker JP, Ryu D, Kerr YH. Analysis of Data Acquisition Time on Soil Moisture Retrieval From Multiangle L-Band Observations. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON GEOSCIENCE AND REMOTE SENSING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 56, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TGRS.2017.2757025
- Poblete T, Ortega-Farias S, Ryu D. Automatic Coregistration Algorithm to Remove Canopy Shaded Pixels in UAV-Borne Thermal Images to Improve the Estimation of Crop Water Stress Index of a Drip-Irrigated Cabernet Sauvignon Vineyard. SENSORS. Molecular Diversity Preservation International. 2018, Vol. 18, Issue 2. DOI: 10.3390/s18020397
- Gao Y, Walker JP, Ye N, Panciera R, Monerris Belda A, Ryu D, Rudiger C, Jackson TJ. Evaluation of the Tau-Omega Model for Passive Microwave Soil Moisture Retrieval Using SMAPEx Datasets. IEEE JOURNAL OF SELECTED TOPICS IN APPLIED EARTH OBSERVATIONS AND REMOTE SENSING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 11, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1109/JSTARS.2018.2796546
- Lintern A, Webb J, Ryu D, Liu S, Bende-Michl U, Waters D, Leahy P, Wilson P, Western A. Key factors influencing differences in stream water quality across space. WILEY INTERDISCIPLINARY REVIEWS-WATER. 2018, Vol. 5, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1002/wat2.1260
- Kunnath-Poovakka A, Ryu D, Renzullo LJ, George B. Remotely sensed ET for streamflow modelling in catchments with contrasting flow characteristics: an attempt to improve efficiency. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment. Springer. 2018, Vol. 32, Issue 7. DOI: 10.1007/s00477-018-1528-y
- Lintern A, Webb J, Ryu D, Liu S, Bende-Michl U, Watson M, Waters D, Leahy P, Wilson P, Western A. Understanding the spatial variability in catchment dynamics: a case study of 107 stream catchments in Victoria. MODSIM2017, 22nd International Congress on Modelling and Simulation. The Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand. 2018. Editors: Syme G, Hatton Macdonald D, Fulton B, Piantadosi J.
- Park S, Ryu D, Fuentes S, Chung H, Hernyndez-Montes E, O'Connell M. Adaptive Estimation of Crop Water Stress in Nectarine and Peach Orchards Using High-Resolution Imagery from an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). REMOTE SENSING. MDPI AG. 2017, Vol. 9, Issue 8. DOI: 10.3390/rs9080828
- Mohammadi A, Costelloe J, Ryu D. Application of time series of remotely sensed normalized difference water, vegetation and moisture indices in characterizing flood dynamics of large-scale arid zone floodplains. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 190. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2016.12.003
- Cho E, Su C, Ryu D, Kim H, Choi M. Does AMSR2 produce better soil moisture retrievals than AMSR-E over Australia?. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 188. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2016.10.050
- Crow WT, Han E, Ryu D, Hain CR, Anderson MC. Estimating annual water storage variations in medium-scale (2000-10 000km(2)) basins using microwave-based soil moisture retrievals. HYDROLOGY AND EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCES. Copernicus GmBH. 2017, Vol. 21, Issue 3. DOI: 10.5194/hess-21-1849-2017
- Eom J, Seo K-W, Ryu D. Estimation of Amazon River discharge based on EOF analysis of GRACE gravity data. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 191. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2017.01.011
- Liu S, Ryu D, Western A, Webb J, Lintern A, Waters D, Thomson B. Modelling the impact of land use and catchment characteristics on stream water quality using a Bayesian hierarchical modelling approach in the Great Barrier Reef catchments. 22nd International Congress on Modelling and Simulation (MODSIM). Modelling and Simulation Society of Australia and New Zealand Inc.. 2017. Editors: Syme G, Hatton Macdonald D, Fulton B, Piantadosi J.
- Massari C, Su C, Brocca L, Sang Y-F, Ciabatta L, Ryu D, Wagner W. Near real time de-noising of satellite-based soil moisture retrievals: An intercomparison among three different techniques. REMOTE SENSING OF ENVIRONMENT. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 198. DOI: 10.1016/j.rse.2017.05.037
- Akuraju V, Ryu D, George B, Ryu Y, Dassanayake K. Seasonal and inter-annual variability of soil moisture stress function in dryland wheat field, Australia. AGRICULTURAL AND FOREST METEOROLOGY. Elsevier Science. 2017, Vol. 232. DOI: 10.1016/j.agrformet.2016.10.007
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile