Professor Chris Manzie
- Control and optimisation (Mechatronics, energy, automotive, autonomous systems)
Chris Manzie is currently a full Professor and Head of Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at the University of Melbourne, and also the Director of the Melbourne Information, Decision and Autonomous Systems (MIDAS) Laboratory, which includes academics from multiple faculties including Engineering, Science and Law. Over the period 2003-2016, he was an academic in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, with responsibilities including Assistant Dean with the portfolio of Research Training (2011-2017), and Mechatronics Program Director (2009-2016). Professor Manzie was also a Visiting Scholar with the University of California, San Diego in 2007 and a Visiteur Scientifique at IFP Energies Nouvelles, Rueil Malmaison in 2012.
His research interests are in model-based and model-free control and optimisation, with applications in a range of areas including systems related to energy, transportation and mechatronics and he has published over 170 refereed journal and conference articles. He is currently supported by industry collaborations with Toyota Motor Corporation, ANCA Motion and the Defence Science and Technology Group, and has been an investigator on over $15M of grant funding and research contracts.
He is currently an Associate Editor for Elsevier Control Engineering Practice; IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics; IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology; and Elsevier Mechatronics.
- Olshina N, Manzie C, Hield P, Brear M. A Framework for Robust Nonlinear Economic MPC Without Terminal Constraints for a Class of Time Varying Systems. 2018 15th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2018. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ICARCV.2018.8581077
- Ira AS, Shames I, Manzie C, Chin R, Nesic D, Nakada H, Sano T. A Machine Learning Approach for Tuning Model Predictive Controllers. 2018 15th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2018. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ICARCV.2018.8581227
- Cuevas L, Nesic D, Manzie C. Globalstability of the error dynamics of an observer designed for the slow states of a singularly perturbed system. 2018 15th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2018. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/ICARCV.2018.8581224
- Clarke W, Manzie C, Brear M. Hierarchical economic MPC for systems with storage states. AUTOMATICA. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 94. DOI: 10.1016/j.automatica.2018.04.012
- Lee K, Moase W, Manzie C. Mesh adaptation in direct collocated nonlinear model predictive control. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ROBUST AND NONLINEAR CONTROL. John Wiley & Sons. 2018, Vol. 28, Issue 15. DOI: 10.1002/rnc.4235
- Zou C, Manzie C, Nesic D. Model Predictive Control for Lithium-Ion Battery Optimal Charging. IEEE-ASME TRANSACTIONS ON MECHATRONICS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 23, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TMECH.2018.2798930
- Sharafi J, Moase W, Manzie C. Multiplexed extremum seeking for calibration of spark timing in a CNG-fuelled engine. CONTROL ENGINEERING PRACTICE. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 72. DOI: 10.1016/j.conengprac.2017.11.005
- Garcia-Rosas R, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Tan Y, Choong P. On the Relationship between Human Motor Control Performance and Kinematic Synergies in Upper Limb Prosthetics. Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, EMBS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512992
- Garcia-Rosas R, Manzie C. On-line Synergy Identification for Personalized Active Arm Prosthesis: A Feasibility Study. Proceedings of the American Control Conference. American Automatic Control Council. 2018, Vol. 2018-June. DOI: 10.23919/ACC.2018.8431310
- Deghat M, Sun Z, Nesic D, Manzie C. Singularly Perturbed Algorithms for Velocity Consensus and Shape Control of Single Integrator Multi-Agent Systems. IFAC-PapersOnLine. 2018, Vol. 51, Issue 23. DOI: 10.1016/j.ifacol.2018.12.035
- Shaw-Cortez W, Oetomo D, Manzie C, Choong P. Tactile-Based Blind Grasping: A Discrete-Time Object Manipulation Controller for Robotic Hands. IEEE ROBOTICS AND AUTOMATION LETTERS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 3, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/LRA.2018.2794612
- Blom M, Brear M, Manzie C, Wiese AP. A PHYSICS-BASED DYNAMIC MODEL FOR BOILERS, PART 1: MODEL DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION. ASME Turbo Expo: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. ASME International. 2017, Vol. 6. DOI: 10.1115/GT201763543
- Blom M, Brear M, Manzie C, Wiese AP. A PHYSICS-BASED DYNAMIC MODEL FOR BOILERS, PART 2: MODEL REDUCTION IN A COGENERATION APPLICATION. ASME Turbo Expo: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. ASME International. 2017, Vol. 6. DOI: 10.1115/GT201763546
- Broomhead T, Manzie C, Hield P, Shekhar R, Brear M. Economic Model Predictive Control and Applications for Diesel Generators. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY. IEEE Control Systems Society. 2017, Vol. 25, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TCST.2016.2574758
- Shekhar R, Gowri Sankar G, Manzie C, Nakada H. Efficient Calibration of Real-Time Model-Based Controllers for Diesel Engines - Part I: Approach and Drive Cycle Results. 2017 IEEE 56TH ANNUAL CONFERENCE ON DECISION AND CONTROL (CDC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2017.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile