Associate Professor Tansu Alpcan
- Decision making (game theory, control, optimisation) for security and resource allocation in networked, communication and energy systems. (power systems, energy markets, risk management, game theory and mechanism design, network security, resources allocation)
Tansu Alpcan received the B.S. degree in electrical engineering from Bogazici University, Istanbul, Turkey in 1998. He received the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical and computer engineering from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) in 2001 and 2006, respectively.
His research involves applications of distributed decision making, game theory, communicaton and control to various security and resource allocation problems in networked and energy systems. He has received Fulbright scholarship in 1999 and best student paper award in IEEE Conf. on Control Applications in 2003. Tansu Alpcan has received Robert T. Chien Research Award from the UIUC Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Ross J. Martin Research Award from the UIUC College of Engineering in 2006.
He was an associate editor for IEEE Conference on Control Applications (CCA) in 2005 and has been TPC member of several conferences including IEEE Infocom 2007-2009. He was the co-chair of the workshop on Game Theory in Communication Networks (GameComm) in 2008, publicity chair of GameNets 2009 and GameSec 2012, co-chair of RAWNET 2012, and program chair of NetGCoop 2012. He is steering board member Conference on Decision and Game Theory for Security (GameSec) and was the general chair of the inaugural edition in 2010. He chaired the IEEE ComSoc MMTC Interest Group on Media Processing and Communications Security (SecIG) between 2010-2012. He was co-chair of the Communication and Information Systems Security Symposium in IEEE International Conference on Communications ICC in 2013. Tansu Alpcan has received the best paper award in 2010 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Communications (ICC), Comm. and Inf. Sys. Security Symposium.
He has been a member of IEEE since 1998 and has become a Senior Member in 2013. He is the (co-)author of more than 100 journal and conference articles as well as the book "Network Security: A Decision and Game Theoretic Appraoch" published by Cambridge University Press (CUP). He co-edited the book "Mechanisms and Games for Dynamic Spectrum Allocation" published by CUP in 2014.
He has worked as a senior research scientist in Deutsche Telekom Laboratories, Berlin, Germany, between 2006 and 2009, and as assistant professor (Juniorprofessur) in Technical University Berlin from 2009 until 2011 while continuing his affiliation with the Deutsche Telekom Laboratories. Tansu Alpcan has joined the Dept. of Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Melbourne, Australia in October 2011, where he continues to work as Associate Professor and Reader.
- Alpcan T, Nekouei E, Nair G, Evans R. An Information Analysis of Iterative Algorithms for Network Utility Maximization and Strategic Games. IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2019, Vol. 6, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/TCNS.2018.2802869
- Liao C, Manzie C, Chapman A, Alpcan T. Constrained extremum seeking of a MIMO dynamic system. Automatica. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 108. DOI: 10.1016/j.automatica.2019.108496
- Weerasinghe S, Monazam Erfani S, Alpcan T, Leckie C, Riddle J. Detection of Anomalous Communications with SDRs and Unsupervised Adversarial Learning. 2018 IEEE 43rd Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN). IEEE. 2019, Vol. 2018-October. DOI: 10.1109/LCN.2018.8638065
- Philip B, Alpcan T, Jin J, Palaniswami M. Distributed Real-Time IoT for Autonomous Vehicles. IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2019, Vol. 15, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TII.2018.2877217
- Jazaeri M, Gordon R, Alpcan T. Influence of building envelopes, climates, and occupancy patterns on residential HVAC demand. JOURNAL OF BUILDING ENGINEERING. Elsevier. 2019, Vol. 22. DOI: 10.1016/j.jobe.2018.11.011
- Weerasinghe S, Monazam Erfani S, Alpcan T, Leckie C. Support vector machines resilient against training data integrity attacks. Pattern Recognition. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 96. DOI: 10.1016/j.patcog.2019.106985
- Guidolin M, Alpcan T. Transition to sustainable energy generation in Australia: Interplay between coal, gas and renewables. Renewable Energy: an international journal. Pergamon-Elsevier Science. 2019, Vol. 139. DOI: 10.1016/j.renene.2019.02.045
- Demazy A, Kalloniatis A, Alpcan T. A Game-Theoretic Analysis of the Adversarial Boyd-Kuramoto Model. 9th International Conference on Decision and Game Theory for Security (GameSec). Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 11199. Editors: Bushnell L, Poovendran R, Basar T. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-01554-1_14
- Nekouei E, Alpcan T, Nair G, Evans R. Convergence Analysis of Quantized Primal-Dual Algorithms in Network Utility Maximization Problems. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON CONTROL OF NETWORK SYSTEMS. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 5, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1109/TCNS.2016.2606897
- Weerasinghe S, Alpcan T, Monazam Erfani S, Leckie C, Pourbeik P, Riddle J. Deep Learning Based Game-Theoretical Approach to Evade Jamming Attacks. 9th International Conference on Decision and Game Theory for Security (GameSec). Springer Verlag. 2018, Vol. 11199. Editors: Bushnell L, Poovendran R, Basar T. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-01554-1_22
- Masoumzadeh A, Nekouei E, Alpcan T, Chattopadhyay D. Impact of Optimal Storage Allocation on Price Volatility in Energy-Only Electricity Markets. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON POWER SYSTEMS. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 33, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TPWRS.2017.2727075
- Nekouei E, Alpcan T, Evans R. Impact of quantized inter-agent communications on game-theoretic and distributed optimization algorithms. Systems and Control: Foundations and Applications. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-04630-9_15
- Jazaeri M, Alpcan T, Gordon R. Model Predictive Control of Residential Demand in Low Voltage Network using Ice Storage. 2018 AUSTRALIAN & NEW ZEALAND CONTROL CONFERENCE (ANZCC). IEEE. 2018.
- Kolluri R, Mareels I, Teixeira C, Tong S, Alpcan T, Brazil M, De Hoog J, Thomas D. Overcoming the Impact of Clock Drifts on Power Sharing for Microgrids. 2018 IEEE POWER & ENERGY SOCIETY GENERAL MEETING (PESGM). IEEE. 2018, Vol. 2018-August. DOI: 10.1109/PESGM.2018.8586450
- Gupta AB, Alpcan T, Morton AB. Predicting Voltage Variations in Low Voltage Networks with Prosumers. 2018 IEEE PES ASIA-PACIFIC POWER AND ENERGY ENGINEERING CONFERENCE (APPEEC). IEEE. 2018.
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile